The cultural centre of the cultural and festival town
The cultural and festival town of Bad Elster has a long theatre tradition: Performances already took place in 1880 in the »Albert Theatre« at the Brunnenberg. Due to a high demand from all over Europe, the in 1912 established Royal Theatre Society was commissioned by the royal family to design and build a new, modern and representative theatre. This was finally inaugurated by King Frederic August III of Saxony on May 22, 1914. Since then, the theatre is considered one of the most significant and magnificent theatres ever.
After decades of performances, the theatre underwent renovations, starting in 1998. Exactly 90 years after its inauguration, the King Albert Theatre reopened ceremoniously on May 22, 2004 with Albert Lortzing’s opera “Tsar and Carpenter,“ a production of the Landesbühnen Sachsen and the Chursächsische Philharmonic under the direction of von GMD Florian Merz.
Today the theatre, which is managed by the Chursächsischen Verantaltungs GmbH, is the official home of the Chursächsische Philharmonic and is under the patronage of His Royal Highness Alexander, Prince of Saxony. The King Albert Theatre offers an outstanding programme from diverse genres year-round.
All information and the current programme: www.koenig-albert-theater.de